Trade mark registration gives the proprietor/director/owner/any individual the right to exclusive use of the mark in respect of the goods or services covered by it. Possibly the most important reason for registration of a trade mark is the powerful remedies against unauthorized use. A trade mark registration allows the proprietor to sue for infringement and to obtain very powerful remedies such as interdict, delivery up infringing articles and damages. At the same time, the trade mark infringement provisions do not preclude a person.
Benefits of Trademark Registration
Benefits of a Trademark/Brand Name:
- It identifies the goods and services and its origin or owner
- It advertises the goods and services
- It creates an image for the goods and services
- It stimulates further purchase
- It serves as a badge of loyalty and affiliation
- It may enable a consumer to make a life style or fashion statement.
Advantages/Benefits of Trademark Registration
Trademark registration benefit both businesses and consumers. Trademarks allow businesses to build an identity and reputation with customers and grow or expand business. Brand Registration allow consumers to take an informed buying decision by searching out familiar brand names and avoid bad buying experiences by avoiding the brands they didn’t like.
- 1. Confers upon the owner the exclusive right to use the brand.
- 2. Protects hard earned goodwill in the business.
- 3. Protects your Name / Brand Name from being used in a same or similar fashion, by any other business firm, thus discourages others from cashing on your long built goodwill.
- 4. Gives your products a status of “Branded Goods” .
- 5. To obtain legal relief in respect of infringement (misuse by others) of the trade mark.
- 6. Power to assign (transfer) the trade mark to others for consideration.